What to do when you’ve had an accident at work?

Monday, 12 May 2014
Accidents at work are extremely common, I’ve experienced one myself unfortunately. This was pre-baby and through no fault of my own or my companies just the other staff member I worked with. After this accident occurred I decided I would change career and go back to a more ‘relaxed’ job, one which didn’t require much manual work as I couldn’t risk being off work again. We were trying to save for a mortgage deposit and nice things in life. When I then found out I was pregnant, I knew I had made the correct choice. I couldn’t have done my previous job whilst pregnant as I received no support from my employers and was required to do a lot of manual handling.

Luckily for me, this was an experience which a little rest cured and I was soon back to my normal self. However some people aren’t as lucky as myself, as I previously stated work accidents are extremely common although we don’t always hear about them.

Your employer has a legal responsibility to ensure your safety and ensure health and safety procedures are adhered too. There is also a legal responsibility to report an accident or incidents, pay you sick pay and give you time off should you need it.

Any injury big or small, should be recorded within your employers ‘accident book’. Although this is mainly for the benefit of employees, all employers (except very small companies) should keep an accident book. It provides a record not only for your employers, but also a record if you need time off work or to claim compensation in the future.
In majority of ‘accident at work’ cases you will need time off to recover, you will probably only be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, however if you’re lucky your employer may offer a scheme for paying you more, this will be stated within your contract in which you signed when starting your employment.

Now, if this injury occurred as no fault of your own and you feel your employer is at fault, you may be entitled to compensation for which you would need to file a work accident claim. Any claim will need to be made within three years of the date the accident happened; you are likely to need a lawyer to represent you for your case. If you are part of a union you may be entitled to use their legal services otherwise you will need to speak with a specialist injury lawyer.

Have you ever been unfortunate to be in a situation like this? 

What was your outcome?

No comments


Disqus for My Mummys World